our team studies THE BEHAVIORAL ECOLOGY of social Mammals!!!
- Interested in research? Join us! We are strongly committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion - students all of genders and backgrounds are welcome; those from historically underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged and supported to overcome legacies of exclusion. Paid opportunities and course credit available for undergraduate collaborations. Graduate students and postdocs are encouraged to join via collaboration with researchers at larger universities and seek support from national and international extramural fellowships.
Undergraduate Research at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Join us! - undergraduates are the core of my lab team! You will participate in all phases of research from idea generation and data collection to analysis and dissemination. Most students join the lab as sophomores or juniors after completing the biology core curriculum (BIOL221/222/223).
- Most students commit to 5-10 hr/wk for pay (e.g., grants, federal work-study FWS) or 1-2 credits per semester. Many students join my lab through the Biology Research Scholars Program (BRSP, fall recruitment) with year-round training and paid summer research.
- Paid research: Summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates, Diversity Mentoring Program, Student-Faculty Research Collaboration Grants, and Blugold Biomedical Innovator Program.
- Students presentations: UWEC's Celebration of Excellence in Research and Creative Activity (CERCA), professional conferences (e.g., UWEC travel grants, Animal Behavior Society Turner Award), and the National Conference on Undergraduate Research hosted in April 2023 by UWEC.
- The Ronald E. McNair Achievement Program prepares first-generation and low-income students as well as those from underrepresented groups for doctoral programs through its two-year program.
DOCTORAL STUDENTS AND POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS
Poster (from https://sammykatta.com/diversity) are free to download and print, and you are welcome to modify them to fit your lab or make them more inclusive as long as they stay free and you share the pledge along with the files!
JILL BARRETT UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH PROGRAM IN BIOLOGY
- Prior to the closure of Mills College as an independent women's college founded in 1852 with a mission to support racial and gender justice, I served as the director of award-winning program committed to increasing representation, participation and leadership of diverse groups of women and gender non-conforming students in STEM.
- For the past decade, this program supported undergraduate fellowships and housing stipends from the Jill Barrett Research Program in Biology. The program facilitates professional development, leadership, and discoveries through mentored research with a capstone fall event at Annual Barrett Research Symposium.